country garden brugmansia picture


LUDGER SCHNEIDER SEEDLINGS


WE were fortunate at BGI recently to get a large number of seed from Ludger Schneider.He sent pure Aurea seed,cold group seed and a few other goodies.There has been a lot of discussion in recent years as to whether or not we had any pure Aureas in the United States.We have Rothkirch and Goldenes Kornett but there has always been doubt that these were the real thing.Now,as the plants from these seed mature we will have the pure strains.The pinks in this list are all Rothkirch seedlings.

For those who don't know,Ludger is a well known Brugmansia breeder from Germany and was instrumental in getting some of the European gene pool into the US, in the early years, when we hybridizers had very little to work with.Now he has done it again.Those of us who work with brugs owe him a big debt of gratitude.

Today,1/09/2013,I planted 110 seed.These were:

  • deep red Sang hybrid x SV
  • Priessel's Arborea
  • 1a x 2 pink aurea 1 x pink aurea 2
  • 2 x 1a pink aurea 2 x pink aurea 1a
  • yellow x P1a yellow aurea x pink aurea P1a
  • 1a x yellow pink aurea 1 x yellow aurea
  • Test 1/E x SV
  • Bolero x pink aurea
  • Schlossburg x pink aurea

The seed starting mix was my usual mix with some added cow manure compost to aid fast growth.I intend to push these for blooms in six to eight months.The usual mix is 2 cubic feet of Jungle Growth with one five gallon bucket of perlite added.For these seed I added one forty pound bag of cow manure compost to the mix.Seed were soaked for 24 hours before planting and were planted in their corky covering.

I plan to add pictures from time to time but understand that this will be slow and boring until these start to bloom.



There are now,2/5/2013,24 of the seed up and growing.The first up were a couple of the sangs followed by a few of the Schlossburg x pink Aurea crosses,then various aureas.I am seeing a few more pop up each day.



I do hope that Ludger sent plenty of the sang seed to our more northern members as the cold group has almost no chance here.Once our temperatures go over 95 degrees along about late June they give up and die.The only cold group member that survives here are the Arboreas and those struggle.There was one exception and that was an x flava that grew from seed and bloomed.I cut it up for cuttings and cuttings and rootball immediately gave up the ghost.Lesson learned.Here is a picture of that ill fated x flava.



For those not familiar with the x flava designation,it's simply a cross of sanguinea and arborea and shares some characteristics of both.The term flava means yellow.

The seedlings continue to pop up one or two each day.So far there are 41 survivors.A couple sprouted and promptly gave up.The others,except for one albino,are healthy and growing well.The albino won't make it since it has no chlorophyll

Here they are on 3/15/2013.


It is now 9/27/2013 and one of the Aureas has now developed a multiple "Y". There will be blooms on this one in a few weeks.After culling all summer for mites and viruses I am down to 14 Aureas.I culled mercilessly anything that did not thrive and anything that showed any virus or mite damage.I am now left with 14 very healthy plants.I will be moving them into the greenhouse over the next month.

The picture above shows the "y"s and the one below shows some of the plants.

Finally a bloom.This plant had 4 buds and dropped 3 of them.This bloom is your basic white with the ugly yellow/green stripes.It does have a nice shape though.

I do hope to get some color from the next ones to bloom.The cross is Pink aurea # 2 x yellow aurea.

Stay tuned.

Well, it is now Christmas eve of 2014. A couple of others bloomed this fall with the same white with yellow striped blooms. The dreams of beautiful pinks and yellows have so far not happened. To save greenhouse space I cut the remaining 12 down and made "short standards" of them. Eleven of the twelve rooted and are growing nicely. I have a couple of cuttings from the dead one so all is not lost there. Notice in the following picture the one on the right side. It was actually growing in that ridiculous shape so I rooted it that way.

Hopefully these will bloom this spring and I am still hoping for another RK and Goldenes Kornett.